Friday, November 5, 2010

Fellow Neuroscientists,

I know you love making things as complicated as possible and making up new words but "pontomesencephalotegmental complex" is getting kinda ridiculous. 26 letters... that is the number of letters there are in the alphabet. You aren't Mary Poppins. How the heck am I supposed to remember that random arrangement of letters? It's like memorizing the alphabet all over again and I'm pretty sure that took me a while. I feel like I'm reading a different language. Maybe I'll just start pulling random letters out a hat and then pretend that it is an actual word. I already have a million new words in my head right now so stop making my life even more complicated.

Love,
The Girl Who Sucks at Spelling and Vocabulary :)

P.S. For those of you that actually are curious about what this monster of a word means I will give you a brief description. It is located in the pons and midbrain tegmentum and is the where a cholinergic (meaning it uses the neurotransmitter Acetylcholine, ACh) diffuse modulatory system starts projecting to other parts of the brain. For those of you still reading this because you are crazy, like me because I'm writing this, this system is hypothesized to regulate sensory relay nuclei as well as learning, memory, sleep-wake cycles and waking up your brain. Okay I'm done sounding smart. I'm really not don't worry :)

No comments:

Post a Comment