Friday, January 7, 2011

Shilom :)

Hello from Israel. I have so much to tell you. Firstly I've been here for about two and a half days now. The flights over here were good... long, but good. I have some favorite things about the flight over. Firstly, I flew Austrian Air and the flight attendants were just great. They were so beautiful and they wore all red, rather than the traditional black. And when I say all red I totally mean all red. Red shoes, red tights, red jacket, red pants, red skirts... some of them even had red bags. The only thing that wasn't red was a light blue scarf tied around their neck. So cute. Secondly, on every single flight except for the one from Vienna to Tel Aviv, I'm pretty sure everyone had a missionary experience. We didn't sit by each other so we were by complete strangers and they couldn't resist asking about where we were going. That then led to the people asking about BYU and about the church. I could sit on the plane and then here a few conversation going on.... "Well we believe..." or "The Book of Mormon..." It was awesome.

Israel itself is just gorgeous. You know the song "Far Far Away on Judea's Plains"? Well it lies. Judea is definitely not flat, or a plain. It is hilly. Which makes it even more gorgeous. You know it you are in the hills when you have to walk uphill both ways. Jerusalem, no words can explain the beauty of it. It is this old city that is built strictly of limestone and other white stone. Every time I look outside, it takes my breath away. It may seriously be the the most gorgeous city I have ever been in. It is hard to believe that Jerusalem is so old, but it is. We went on a orientation walk around the city, so that we won't get super lost, but anyways it was so awesome. There are so many things to look at that are absolutely fascinating and there are so many things/facts to learn about Jerusalem. My view from my room, or any room in the JC is just gorgeous. I can look out the window, while still laying in my bed and see something important. I'm not really sure what I'll get back to you on that one.

The food here is just so great. Although I eat so much. It is really bad because I really have no idea what I'm eating but I'll just put it on my plate so I can try it. It is usually happiness in my mouth. There are so many different foods that I have never even heard of tasted. The bad thing about this mew food experience is that I want to try all of it because it is so stinking good, so I'm probably going to get fat.  Although the million stairs I have to walk everyday might balance it out. Plus it is pretty healthy food... fruits, vegetables, yumminess.

Getting over the whole jet lag thing is going well. Today might be the first day that we all don't look like zombies. Literally yesterday and the day before we could sit in forum and see the majority of the class's head drop. So sleepy. The professors totally know that we are zombies and repeat what they tell us the first days. Their method for us getting over jet lag is keeping us super busy and wake us up at the crack of dawn if call to prayer hasn't already. Today was the first day where we didn't have something planned all day. The staff here is just amazing. They are so happy for us to be here and are so helpful and friendly. I'm really excited to be able to be best friends with my professors. I feel like a celebrity all the time. Yesterday when we were touring the city there was a security guard around us at all times. It's like we have our own personal secret service. Or when we were walking Eran don't know his last name, stopped us and gave a snack for our journey. It is just all so fun.

Classes are great. Today was our first day of actual classes. Professor Chadwick is like a encyclopedia. He knows so much information about everything. I'm way excited to learn in his class. Muhlstein is also great, although the Old Testament is a little confusing to understand, but that's what class is for right?

We got to out of JC today for free time. It was great just exploring and wandering around the Old City. It was so busy and we were only there for a couple of hours, because we can't be in the Old City/East Jerusalem after dark. But I'm excited for more exploring. There is just so much to see and experience.

Anywho I'm giong to go get fat in the Oasis. Shilom.

P.S. Shilom means hello and goodbye, just like Aloha.

1 comment:

  1. Emily !!
    It sounds like you are having a blast !! I'm so happy for you ! I can't wait to hear more about your adventures, and expect an email coming your way soon :D I love you <3

    ReplyDelete