Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The Anatomy of a Hug....

Hugs might just be the greatest things ever. Let me demonstrate, put your arms straight out, then try to touch both your shoulder blades at the same time. Congratulations you just gave yourself a hug. Feels good right? Just think about it when you are sad what do you want? A hug. When you are happy what you do you want? A hug. When you see something/someone cute what do you want to do? Hug it/them to death.
I love hugs. I love giving people hugs and letting people hug me. I once was having a horrible day and a friend put a sticky note on my door that said, "I heard that you needed a HUG, so here is one." It made me smile even if it was a sticky note hug. Hugs make everything so much better. I love hugging my mommy and my sisters, and I know they LOVE it especially when I don't let go. I'll often just never let go in hugs just to make people laugh. Everyone wants to be loved and hugs are the very best approach. Such a simple act can mean so much to someone. They can mean that you actually care enough to put your arms around them and support them. It could also mean that you are good friends, instead of just acquaintances who just wave at each other.
There are many different kinds of hugs. There is the side hug. This is my hug pet peeve. Side hugs shouldn't be called real hugs. Its a half something, like you don't want to get to close because they smell or something or you don't really care to give them a hug. A side hug should be called a I-don't-really-want-to-give-you-a-hug-but-I-don't-want-to-look-heartless hug. They are always really awkward.
Next there is the airplane hug, called the airplane hug because your arms look you are pretending to be an airplane. These hugs are just alright. Sometimes they can be very awkward because if the hugger is reflecting the hugee your arms can clash and then it just gets weird. Hugs shouldn't take that much coordination. They should be simple and natural. Plus also if the person you are hugging is really tall it just doesn't work out. You are all lopsided. Another thing is if you are hugging someone with something on their back, like a backpack. then it gets in the way. [Side note, whenever I see couples around campus with their arms around each others backpacks and trying to walk at the same time, I just want to go up to them, remove their arms from the awkwardness and make them hold hands. It is about a thousand times cuter and you can actually walk normally.]
I have a theory that in order to give a great hug you should try to connect your hands, that you way you are actually giving them a hug rather then putting your arms kinda around them and patting them while there is still an elephant between you. That is not a hug. Which brings me to my very favorite type of hug. The best way to hug someone, is both arms wrapped around either their neck or torso. Then you can hug them tightly and it actually counts as a hug.
For those of you who are still reading this craziness let me tell you about my recent hug failure. Like all things, practice makes perfect, and with this particular person we need lots of practice. Let's call him Bob. Bob was leaving my house, he had a backpack on. I should add that this is the first time ever Bob and I have hugged. Anywho, Bob makes the 'hug goodbye' gesture, except that it was not the type of hug I'm used to, aka side hugs, the hug I hate the most. So as we initiate a side hug I try to reposition so that I can give Bob a real hug. It was a disaster. I somehow ended up still on the side of him just angled funny, giving him a half airplane hug, half who knows hug. My one airplane arm was on his backpack, while the other one was on his stomach. I don't know how it got there but it did. It is possibly one of the most awkward hugs I've ever given/received. To add the the weird moment, my roommate walked in. Afterwards we were talking about it and she agrees that is was just weird. Fortunately today me and Bob had our second hug practice session. This one went a lot better although I don't know if you could really do any worse than hug one. I am hopeful for the future. :)

P.S This commercial is the best. 

1 comment:

  1. hahaha this is so funny. I definitely had a most awkward side hug experience recently. Side hugs should be banned from the world! They are no good! Love, peace, and hugs!

    ReplyDelete